Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Russian Sage - Perovskia atriplicifolia

I think I've posted something on the Russian Sage once before, but due to the horrible growing season of 2011, I felt it merits another post. It is a garden 'must have.'  It was named Perennial Plant of the Year by the Perennial Plant Association in 1995,




And don't let the name fool you - neither is it true sage, nor is it from Russia. See? I'm not the ONLY weird gardener!

The plant is actually from Asia and named after the Turkestani Governor, B.A. Perovski.

This is a deciduous plant which begins growth in the early spring and reaches about 5' high and about that wide in a short period of time. Each stem grows directly from the ground and its habit is mounded-airy form.

Due to its location, I forgot many times this year to get water to it. But as you can see, it's done just fine. It gets morning sun only and is planted at the drip line of an ornamental crabapple tree. I've decided that I'm gonna divide these plants next spring and make a continuous hedge around this tree. As you can see, the leaves of the crabapple tree turn a golden yellow in the fall and I think the blue/purple/white flowers around it will make a superb showing!

The leaves have a silvery tinge and they are fantastic when they are billowing in the breeze. Various shades of blue, purple and white blooms grace the end of each stem. The blooms are at least 8" long with most of them being 12". It begins its show in late September and continues until frost.

After the frost kills it back, leave the stems on the plants until you see new growth the next spring. Then cut them down to about one foot.

Bumble bees were working like mad when I took this photo . .unfortunately none of them are visible in the photo.

Add this to your xeriscape garden!

No comments: