Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Monday, October 3, 2011

Plumbago (Auriculata)

The Plumbago is my newest love. I've looked at it for years and years but it looked so delicate, I wasn't sure I could (would) take care of it.
But after reading as much as I could about it, I purchase two this past spring. After the drought began I had absolutely no hope they would survive.
One has always look healthier than the other and since the temps have cooled to the mid-80's during the day and around 60 at night, I think they'll both survive. Right now they're super small; no more than 18" tall and about 12" wide, but will ultimately reach a height of four feet and a width of five feet! Can you just imagine these plants that big with these gorgeous flowers on them????

This is a scrambling bush that propagates by new suckers. You can also start it from seed or stem cuttings.

Not only is this shrub drought tolerant its disease and pest free. They'll grow in full sun or partial shade. Now I'm wondering why I even thought I couldn't care for this baby!!!!
 
Deadheading keeps the shrub in full bloom. It is recommended that you prune this bush about every three years or so to maintain its shape and keep it within its boundaries.
 
It is recommended as a container plant where its limbs with the beautiful blue flowers drape the sides of the container; as an accent plant; as well as a hedge . .man, I do see a hedge forming in my mind?

Birds love it because they can hide in its thickness and the butterflies also love it. Wildlife, including deer, does not like it so you won't be bothered with them eating your shrubs!

Fertilize about every three weeks with a soluble fertilizer and always water this shrub at ground level . .I use a soaker hose for mine. Its hardy from zones 8 through 11. I think that for their first winter, when a freeze is predicted I'll put 5-gallon buckets over them, as a safety measure.

This photo was copied from the web.
 There is also a white form which is very attractive. The white flowers is a wonderful addition to the night garden as they appear to glow at twillight.

 I planted my blue ones in an area where they get mostly sun, but by three in the afternoon, they're completely shaded by my beloved live oak which another story unto itself. I'll cover the live oak in another post.

No comments: