Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Followup on Muhly Grass, aka Mark Grass

This is a followup on the Muhly Grass, aka Mark Grass post of 01-11-11.
Even with the heat and drought of the 2011 growing season, this plant has done superbly.

It is a happy-go-lucky plant that requires no care once it's establish in a sunny, well-drained area.

When it shows new growth in the spring, a dose of balanced fertilizer is ALL that's required from you. Mother nature does the rest.

No pests or diseases infiltrate this plant and wildlife doesn't like it at all! It's growth habit is clumpy.

New plants form around the perimeter of the clump and when folks want some, I just dig them one of the new plants; however, it's time to seriously divide mine, and I plan on planting them en masse throughout my gardens next spring. It's fabulous planted en masse on a hillside or knoll - but unfortunately, I have neither! It's hardy from zones 7 through 10. It makes a great xeriscape plant.

It will bloom like this from early October until frost - then all the fronds and blooms will turn brown. Even in this stage, it's gorgeous - it looks 'stately'. But before spring growth starts it should be cut back to about three inches. I use my hedge trimmers for this task and usually get it down with a couple of swipes. One year I failed to do this and found it impossible to get the dead fronds out of the new growth! So I just had to look at an ugly mess for one season. I try not to make the same mistake twice . . .so about February I get out there and get it done!

Three people have stopped this season to ask about my muhly grass. Now I know that three inquiries doesn't sound like a lot, but considering that we see only the postman and paper delivery person during a normal day, three is significant! (smiley face)

If you want to see some truly superb muhly grass follow this link: http://fairegarden.wordpress.com/2009/01/03/muhly-grass-see-you-in-september/

I almost didn't share this link with you simply because I'm jealous and intimidated - I'd sure like to where this person got their photography skills and what camera they use!!! Just kidding - but I am envious of their gardening and photography skills!

2 comments:

Patsy said...

No explanation as to why you also call this Mark Grass.

Norma said...

Opps! I tried to pull up the original post on 'Mark' grass for updating - but BlogSpot wouldn't post an 'update'. So I had to write a new post. I intended to refer to the original post, but FORGOT. WIll do it now!