Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Hellebore



The Hellebore is better known as the Christmas Rose and the Lenten Rose. This is because some varieties bloom during Christmas time and others begin around Lenten season (40 days prior to Easter).

This is a very low growing evergreen perennial that's gorgeous the entire year. It's low maintenance and very easy to take care for. Just put her in the shade, be sure she gets plenty of water (not soggy - just moist) and fertilizer. Sometime in September I give them about a cup of bone meal sprinkled around the plants an worked into the soil. Then just wait for her gorgeous bloom.

The most unique thing I love about this plant is its individuality. I have many varieties; therefore I have blooms from Christmas to late spring; when most other plants are dormant. I haven't tried any for arrangements- but I think I might this upcoming season.

The colors range from pure white to almost black. The only color I don't have is the true red. Needless to say, the red is on my wish list! Its leaves are atop an 18" stem that originates from the soil rather than on the plant.  It's a five-section, serrated, leathery leaf.

The only drawback I've seen is the head of the bloom droops (another thing most retailers won't tell you). Some botanist say this is because if water get down into the bloom and freezes, and creates an ugly mess.You literally have to lift the head of the flower up to view it. But, hybridizers who recognize the value and joy of this plant are working judiciously to develop a Hellebore whose flowers will bloom upright.

Propagation is accomplished by either division or seed. But remember that, because it's hybridized, seed won't necessarily be true to the parent plant.

Mine are planted in my 'fern' bed along with Heucheru and other shade plants that love moisture.

One of my favorite nieces that accompanied The Sisters on a recent trip to Callaway Gardens saw and fell in love with this plant. Callaway had it naturalized throughout the woods and that was a gorgeous effect as well.