Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Mexican Cigar Bush - Cuphea ignea

The Mexican cigar bush is a 'must have' for those gardeners in to xeriscaping and for those who love easy care, showy, colorful,  beautiful, drought tolerant, hummer and bee loving  plants . .in other words, this plant is for you! It's hardy from Zone 5 through 10 and puts on its show from late spring until frost.

As the name implies, it is from Mexico.  Cuphea is derived from the Greek word kyphos, meaning bent, curved, or humped. Ignea means fire. It is sometimes referred to a firecracker plant. It is a hardy, woody perennial.

This plant reaches approximately four feet high and four to five feet wide. The orange flowers with their yellow tips bloom from the ground level and up the entire stem. It is NEVER without color and requires no deadheading; however, unless it's pinched when it emerges in the spring, it will look a little leggy before summer's over.

Two pinchings a spring should suffice . .one when it's about four inches high and another when those are about eight inches high. This allows the stems to develop enough fullness to prevent them from getting leggy during the summer.

It's such an easy care plant, that I forget it's there until I see the hummers congregating or the bright orange color catches my eye. Mine are at least 12 years old and the only insect I've seen on it is the praying mantis (which is one of the good bugs) and absolutely no diseases.

It's easy to divide as well . .. when I have a gardening friend wanting some, I just wait until it begins to emerge in the spring .. place a shovel where I want to divide it . .push it in then break a piece from the mother plant. It also transplants easily.

It's also great for the nature photographer. You'll almost always see hummers flitting around it, especially around dawn or sunset.

This is three plants




A closer view







1 comment:

Debbie Schreck said...

Do you know where I can purchase this plant? I live in Loganville, GA. Thanks.