Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Mexican Petunia - Ruellia

Well, folks, I'll bet you thought you'd never hear me say this, but I do NOT recommend anyone planting the Mexican Petunia in their gardens. Conversely, they do great in large pots - really large!

While they are beautiful, easy to grow, hardy, and undaunted by pests and diseases, drought tolerant, they are the most invasive plant I've ever dealt with. This plant is so invasive I put Roundup on them this year . . and I'm STILL finding them in my gardens!!! Looks like getting rid of these babies is gonna be a long, drawn-out process.

They prolifically put out new plants from underground runners and these runners go EVERYWHERE. Not to mention that they'll eventually choke out desirable plants!

Since I didn't realize how invasive these plants are, I apologize profusely to anyone I've sent these plants to!!

When you see these gorgeous plants at your local nursery next year, just walk on by - or if you can't resist them, plan on simultaneously buying a LARGE pot and plenty of potting soil!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the poor people who bought our house in Conyers. You shared some of these beauties with me and I left them in the lawn there. Bet they are pulling them out by the handfuls or grabbed the RoundUp by now.

Norma said...

I'm sorry! Had I known how prolific and hardy they are, they would have NEVER left my yard! Poor Helen. She put hers down by the fence in her backyard. Bet the neighbors are considering suing her by now!