Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pregnant Onion (Ornithogalum longibracteatum)

Several years ago Kevin, one of my followers and internet gardening buddies, and his wife Ellen sent me one of the most unique plants I've ever seen!

Never would I try to pronounce the botanical name.. .Pregnant Onion suits me just fine!

This is another easy-care plant that requires little attention. The pregnant onion is a great conversation piece as well. When people see it, their first question is "What in the world is that?" I wait for that question because I LOVE to show and explain how it got its common name!!

See those little nodes on the right of the onion? They're baby pregnant onions! These babies drop to the soil and make new plants. Pop a couple off - hand them to your friend and tell him/her to drop them in a container (no planting necessary) and just watch them grow! Hardly any care is required for these plants, but it is not cold hardy so winter protection is required.

Not only is the plant entertaining, it puts on one of the most magnificient and aromatic blooms in the plant world.




When the stalk emerges from the plant it's covered with tiny buds. These buds open from the bottom upward and provides aroma and beauty almost the entire summer. Notice the tinge of green on each petal in the photo below . . just gorgeous!

During my entire experience with it, which has been several years, I've seen no insect on it and I've seen no disease on it! The only special care it gets is a little Micacle Grow during the growing season.

Thank you Kevin and Ellen - I say a little prayer for you each time I look at it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Although I enjoy this plant and have for years, it has the worst scale problem I've ever seen.