Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Lawn Grasses

We've had less than four inches of rain since the end of March. In mid-July we had three to four inches . .and since the first of August, we've had nothing. Pair that with 100 degree or better temperatures and you can see why I've had such difficulty doing anything except trying to keep things alive much less maintaining the 'perfect' lawn . ..which I LOVE! So today I'll just talk about lawn grasses!


I'm a real stickler about the perfect lawn. So much so that my offsprings warn their friends to "Keep off the Grass."  I'm not really that bad, but I'm close! Nothing softens my heart more than to see children playing on my lawn!








Or better yet, see them working!

There are tons of lawn grasses out there for homeowners to choose from. However, there is only two out there that I am 'intimately' involved with; therefore, those are the only two I'll discuss here. One I love - the other I dislike immensely!

My love is for the centipede grass. It's a low growing grass that doesn't look too bad even if it's unmanicured. Four inches is about as tall as it grows and it grows profusely in the shade.

Centipede propagates by above-ground runners therefore you can always see where it's headed.

Approximately every inch on these runners are nodes. From these nodes other runners will begin and run in four directions, from those other runners are developed. Soon there's a carpet of grass. When we first planted mine (hubby helped me plant), we planted plugs on 12" squares and it took a couple of seasons to get the carpet effect. Once centipede is established it's almost impossible for a weed to germinate in it, much less thrive. I think that's because of the thick, dense root structure.

Centipede Grass
Since centipede runners travel on top of the ground it's also easy to control. When I see a runner headed for a flower bed or shrubbery planting it's quite easy to reach down and pull it out. The centipede is also very hardy and can tolerate abuse and dry periods but doesn't like extended droughts like we're in now. During drought periods it goes dormant but as soon as a good rain comes, it greens up. I have found that during these droughts, weeds and Bahiagrass can penetrate. I do my best not to let mine stay dry for too long, but in weather like we've had this year, it's impossible to keep EVERYthing hydrated.

Centipede Grass


Now to get to the one that I dislike immensely. That is Bahiagrass. Some well-meaning farmer brought this grass from Brazil in 1914 for use as a pasture grass. It's a shame the Bahiagrass doesn't remain in the pasture! Like the kudzu, left to its own volition it overtakes EVERYTHING.

The southeastern US is literally covered with this stuff and it will take advantage of any bare, sunny spot it can find!! The Bahiagrass is very, very drought tolerant, requires no fertilizer and when the centipede goes dormant due to lack of moisture, the Bahiagrass will literally take over the sunny areas if you let it.

It's ugly - it will not 'carpet' and even though a lot of people in this part of the country use it as a lawn grass, it's seedheads are atrocious!!!! I think the main reason they use it as  lawn grass is that it's so difficult to destroy - and unless a person is willing to be combative, in this dry, acid, sandy soil, the Bahiagrass will win.

After a rain those atrocious seedheads pop up. Cut them today and they're right back tomorrow. Don't even try to walk through it in nice slacks when it's seeding. .they 'll be ruined!!!

Until it puts on those ugly seedheads, it's difficult for the untrained eye to pick up the difference in the centipede and Bahiagrass. But I've trained my eye to pick up the difference in the color as well as the size and texture of the blades. I can spot Bahiagrass trying to get started a mile away (I've been known to exaggerate some). Also, the seedheads are murder on lawnmower blades. If you use this as a lawn grass, be sure to have a good grinder handy or be prepared to replace blades frequently!

There are two things that I do like about it though. One is that it's non-competitive. Other grasses, particularly centipede, will push it right out of the ground during good growing conditions. It has a thick fibrous root system that grows just under the top of the ground and any competition literally destroys it. Two is that it will NOT grow in the shade and since the majority of my lawn is in the shade, I don't have to deal with it there. But I do have to be vigilant in and around the flower beds - which are in the sun.

11 comments:

Kevin said...

Oh man, I think I see the blue goose in the background of one of those pics. Very beautiful blog Norma. I should have signed up with a regular name. But if anyone see's "damosel", that's me, Kevin.

Norma said...

Yep - that's the Blue Goose! Still running good too! Of course I wouldn't take her more than 30 miles from home! LOL. Something as old (but not decrepit) as she is subject to stop or blow up at any moment! I'm really more concerned about the tires than I am the mechanics. I can't remember the last time I had her 're-shoed'.

Damosel - Kevin - or whatever . .you're still one of my best gardening buddies and computer consultants.

Did any of that centipede I sent you survive?

Kevin said...

Just Kevin, I'll change my avatar pic for something better.

None of the centipede made it, but that's our fault. Didn't put enough effort into it. We keep our grass cut but never do anything about the clover or other broad leaf stuff.

We have an '84 VW Convertible and just use it for short trips also. Runs great, just not a good traveling car. Now the Blue Goose, that baby would be a great travel car. Except the gas mileage of course. ;)

I need to get out in the yard and see if I can identify a baby Black Walnut tree for you. So many things pop up here I'm not quite sure how to tell. But I'll go study the leaves and see if I can grab a couple. I know they are here.

So glad you started a blog. Love your gardening tips, ideas, and knowledge.

Norma said...

Oh, yes! Try to find me a Black Walnut tree or two . . .I LOVE those things!

The Blue Goose is a good travel car. It's almost like you're gliding over the road . .no matter how long you're on the road you always feel fresh at the end of your trip . . .but at it's age, I still wouldn't be comfortable in it on the road. And you're right. 12 MPG at the absolute best. Around 8 in town. Now if we could combine the gas mileage of your VW and the comfort of the Blue Goose, we'd have some kind of car, huh? I can just see Ellen, aka Wilson, sporting around in that convertible!

Sorry the centipede didn't make it . .if you want to try it again, just let me know. I do understand that until it covers the ground, it takes diligence in caring for it. Of course, a good herbicide will help as far as those broadleaf plants are concerned.

I took some to one of my sisters and hers is doing good. Of course, she's about like me when it comes to the yard. Another sister didn't have such luck - but then she didn't have the dedication either!

Kevin said...

Hi Norma,

Sorry about the delay. I'm in the process of moving all my websites. I don't think we have the dedication to keep the centipede alive. I haven't even treated the lawn to get rid of the Clover, or other broad leaf. I'll see you on another topic in your blog.

Norma said...

I like your avatar!

Kevin said...

That was a bunny a few years back. Went around the corner of the house to get a pic, and it was standing there posing for me.

Norma said...

He's definitely posing . .as if someone said, "stand real still while I take this photo".

Kevin said...

What are you doing up at this time of day? I have tons oh photos of wildlife here. I think I sent you some pics of our deer and turkey's this year?

Norma said...

This time of day? Man, at 5, no later than 5:30, my feet hit the floor! Have to get my inside chores and 'talk' my baby sister to work each morning prior to getting outside! Yes, you did send me photos of the deer, turkey, cat with turtle, and other stuff. I just wanted your permission prior to posting them.

Kevin said...

You're welcome to post any pics I send you. I have tons more also. The sun is actually out and I'm headed out to do a little clean up.