Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

English Ivy

An Old Southern garden just would be incomplete without English Ivy. And mine is no exception. I use the ivy mostly as a ground cover under my hickory trees. I allow it to grow up the trees to about eye level and keep it maintained at that height. It takes about an hour three times a year to keep it within bounds. When it tries to climb the trees, I use an icepick to get under the stem and pull the tentacle's from the trees then cut it at eye level. I use a shovel at ground level to break and remove the runners to ensure that it doesn't get into the lawn. I maintain a moat about eight inches wide to prevent the ivy and lawn from getting intermingled. Hedge trimmers are used around the circumference to keep it tidy. Mine has been on the hickory trees at least 20 years or maybe even longer.

Residue from these trimmings is either soaked in charcoal lighter and burned or bagged until they're completely dead.

Several years ago we had to have a dead tree removed from the lawn. Of course the tree removal company wouldn't take responsibility for the stump and that was as unsightly as the dead tree . . .since the stump was hollow (evidently reason for the demise of the tree) I decided to make lemonade from the lemon nature had left given me! I filled the stump with compost and garden soil - inverted a tomato cage over it - then planted some ivy.

Ivy has a reputation of being invasive and it also has a reputation of 'sucking the life' out of trees. Nothing could be further from the truth. It only takes about three hours a year to keep my ivy within its bounds. And the roots do NOT take its nutrients from the tree. Ivy gets it nutrients from the soil in which it's planted and from the air.

But left to its own volition, I'm sure it would take over in a few seasons. I have read that left to grow up into the trees, ivy will act as a sail and help dislodge the tree roots in high winds. I don't know this for a fact - but I'm not willing to take the chance - besides I like the manicured, neat appearance rather than the 'natural' look.

I have a list of plants for my oldest son (my only true gardener) to remove if I'm ever incapable of caring for my yard - and the English Ivy is on that list.

I love the evergreen beauty of ivy as well as its stately appearance on the outside. Plus, when decorating for the holidays or special occassions, nothing is more useful. A gentle spray from the hose will wash off loose dirt or insects. A dip in the sink with cool water and a mild detergent gets them squeaky clean. A coat of Plant Shine brings it to floral quality making it suitable for almost any occassion!

Not only does this eliminate the need for silk ivy, when the occassion is over, I can just toss it out. No storing for future use - no taking up space in my decorations storage area. It's beauty lasts at least two weeks inside.

No comments: