Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Good Memories!

Sometime in the '80's mother sold her home in Atlanta and moved to a condo in Marietta. Mother had this Sanservia and I'm almost (emphasis on almost) certain it originally came from my grandmother's house. The lighting in the condo was not the best in the world, therefore, mother asked me to bring it home with me.

At the time I took possession, it was planted in a two pound Maxwell House coffee can. I brought her home and repotted her and within two years she was this big. I've divided and repotted her umpteen times . .and she just thrives!

The Sanservia is also known as the snake plant and also the Mother-in-Law's tongue.

She demands very little attention. I give her about 1/2 gallon of water with 1/4 teaspoon of Miracle Grow twice a month during the growing season and limit the water to once a month in the winter with no fertilizer.

She is turned 1/4 of a turn each week. She will grow toward the light if you neglect to do this. And if she starts growing toward the light, she will eventually fall over and is not pretty at all. Sometimes you'll have a frond to fall over no matter what you do. Cut these off even with the soil - do not try to stake.

Did you know the Sanservia blooms? I didn't . . until one day I smelled this fantastic aroma when I would pass a certain area. I couldn't locate where the aroma originated, so I took it on as a project to find it. Well, at the back of the plant was a stem with tiny white blooms on it. Very insignificant blooms . ..but very fragrant!

Notice that chair? I'd always wanted one for my dressing table, but never went to the trouble to find one. We went to my bosses house one afternoon and saw two of them sitting on his carport. They were filthy and covered with rust. I asked him what they used them for and he said 'nothing - but sometimes we do take them down to the pond to fish'... ..I asked him if he'd be interested in selling them (he looked at me like Id lost my mind) and a couple of days later he told me he had them in back of his truck and his wife wanted $10 for them .. .happily, I laid a $10 bill in his hand - with him shaking his head all the while and muttering, 'can't imagine why you want those things!'.  I brought them home . .and scrubbed them down good then started sanding .. then painting . .then upholstering!

My sister's (Hellon) husband had just passed and I did the same for the second chair and gave it to her - but I did allow her to select the fabric she wanted. The last I noticed, she was still using hers at her dressing table.

I just LOVE good memories

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice entry. And yes I remember that plant in Maxwell House coffee cans at mama's house. And I remember the first time I saw it so huge in your dressing room! Thanks for reminding me of days gone by.

Norma said...

My Pleasure! Glad to bring back GOOD memories!