Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Rain - Real Rain

After agonizing through a summer of drought, we finally got some rain last night. This week I've been watching the national weather maps and seeing rainfalls all around us while looking up at blue, beautiful skies! How Frustrating!

Then last night I thought I heard water running through the downspouts and when hubby came to bed he asked, "Is it raining?" (His hearing isn't what it used to be so he was definitely unsure.) I told him I thought I heard water in the downspouts, but was afraid to go check - afraid my mind was playing tricks on me! He opened the french doors to the balcony and hollered, "Come and look at this!"

It appears to be about three inches. But in view of the fact that we've had less than two inches since the end of March, it's not enough to pull us out of the drought - we need several days of rain to soak the soil through and through! But I am grateful that I don't have to drag the hoses all over the yard for a few days.

For those of us interested in xeriscaping (gardening to reduce or eliminate the need for supplemental water),  I'm gonna spend the next day or so checking for plants that have survived/thrived during 2011 with a minimum of care. Then I'll be compiling a list plants/shrubs that have survived this period and hopefully will get it posted early next week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you finally got some rain. But now I'm looking forward to your articles about xeriscaping. That's what I want to do in my new home - self-tending gardens. Bring it on.

Kevin said...

Sure is great to hear you got some very needed rain. Must have been a beautiful site to open those french doors and see that. Sounds like hubby heard that just fine. ;)

Good to meet you Patsy. So glad to see your posts here. I don't know anyone that has the green thumb like Norma. Always great info here. Not only that, just a great person overall. ;)

Norma said...

Ouch . . .looks like I've opened a can of worms with my xeriscaping! That's OK - I LOVE a good challenge!

If this year didn't teach me anything about xeriscaping, I'll never learn! Will share what I learn . . .

Thanks for the kind, gentle words, Kevin. But not all my attempts have been successful. Like any good doctor, I bury my mistakes!!!!

shhhhhhhhhhh . . but I think you're right about hubby's hearing . .I think it's 'selective'. When I want his undivided attention, I preface my sentence with "I'm gonna buy" ..gets him EVERY time!

Patsy, I find the yard of your new home very intimidating! I've tried to go back to the website and have another look at the yard, but since it's been bought, it's been removed.

Kevin said...

"I'm gonna buy"

A very wise person uses this term. Bet those ears perk right up. lol