Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Mr. Lincoln Hybrid Tea Rose

Tea roses have a reputation for being difficult to raise, but new technologies in disease and insect control plus equipment engineering have definitely lessened the job.

 A good soaker hose under mulch in your rose bed along with a water timer - eliminates hydration guesswork. In the past, I depended on Ortho for my rose care products, but this year I'm trying Bayer's new product which contains fertilizer (roses are BIG eaters), fungicide, and insectide in granular form. The granules are sprinkled around the base of the plant then worked into the soil from one to two inches. Since this is the first year I've tried it and most of the pests and diseases are yet to show themselves, I can't vouch for the product at this time, but I do know that Bayer produces wonderful products. And I'll post my comments on the product at the end of the growing season.

Mr. Lincoln is absolutely my favorite Hybrid Tea rose. Deep red, velvety blossoms atop a long stems with a soft, gentle aroma makes it my number one.

Mr. Lincoln is a great cut flower as well. Lasts well over a week provided the water is kept fresh by changing it  daily and adding either an aspirin or a teaspoon of bleach to the fresh water - and keeping it out of direct sunlight. The aspirin or bleach  keep down bacteria in the container.

One bouquet will keep your home smelling like a rose garden for days!


No comments: