Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Plant Names Pronunciation and Plant Descriptions

We all are shy at time about pronouncing the name of a particular plant. Sometimes, even intimidated!

Taunton Press has solved this problem for us - not only do they break the word down for us, they give us an audible pronunciation.

http://www.finegardening.com/pguide/pronunciation-guide-to-botanical-latin.aspx

When I visit this site for a particular pronunciation, I verbalize the word several times while I'm there and try to work it into conversation during the next few hours (even if I have to talk to myself).

Another problem we have sometimes is visualizing expectations as we read a plant's description on the label!! All those words are descriptive of how the plant performs . .but if you don't know what the words mean - how can you 'visualize'?? Problem solved!

http://www.calflora.net/botanicalnames/botanicalterms.html

No comments: