Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pineapple Sage - Salvia elegans

Don't bother asking me why this is called "Pineapple Sage" because I have no idea. It smells nothing like pineapple to me - even though other people says it does! Maybe it's in the olfactory glands of the 'smellee'???!!

The Pineapple Sage is hardy from Zone 8 through 11. It can be grown in Zone 7 provided it's planted in a protected area and mulched over winter. And if you live in a colder zone, it also makes a great container plant, if you have a place to keep it from freezing over the winter.

I bought one plant about eight years and have shared with all my gardening friends that want it. I've placed it all over my gardens and it doesn't appear to be particular as to it's environment. It's happy in rich soil; sandy soil; rain; drought; full sun; part sun, you name it and this plants just thrives.  I divide it in the fall about every two years  to keep it in its designated area and to get new plants. I now have enough plants to make about a 30' 'hedge'. The hedge will be one of my spring projects.

It gets about 4.5 to 5 feet tall and is covered with these small, red blooms continuously from spring to frost. It's also evergreen therefore makes a showing all year.

Humming birds, bees, and butterflies literally love and flock to this plant. Whatever time of the day you go out, one or the other is feasting on these flowers - and the best part is that deer hate it.

It has no propensity to disease and insects do not bother it at all. The only care it takes is to plant and enjoy (don't you just LOVE it)! While it's very prolific, it's not invasive. It only multiplies through division. You can, however, make stem cuttings. But why bother since it multiplies so easily on its own?

It also has quite a few culinary uses. I've never tried any of them so I make no recommendations or guarantees. Just looking at it serves me well!

The leaves are used as a garnish in teas and punches. The flowers are used in jellies, fruit salads, and desserts.
They say that lining your pound cake pan with fresh Pineapple Sage leaves really enhances the flavor of the cake. I might give this a try during the holidays  . . If I do, I'll post the results.

To dry the leaves, cut the stems early in the morning, but after the dew dries.  Tie them together with old pantyhose strips - or whatever you have available. Then hang them upside down in a cool, dry, ventilated area. When dry, strip the leaves off the stems and store them an airtight container in a cool, dark location.

Read more: How to Cook With Pineapple Sage
eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2386138_cook-pineapple-sage.html#ixzz14WjpJAJw

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been blessed with a new plant grown from Norma's pineapple sage. Sure wish I had a before and after photo. She sent me this little stick that almost made me laugh. Today it stands waist high - I have shaped it into a topiary. It was covered in red blooms all summer long.

Norma said...

I'm happy you're enjoying my little 'stick'! She'll be more beautiful, and hopefully more enjoyable in 2011.

Anonymous said...

I hope, it's OK