Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Asparagus Fern

I'm not really big on houseplants, but I do have a few. My Asparagus Fern (Asparagus densiflorus 'Sprengeri') being one. While the Asparagus is not truly a fern, it does have some of fern's attributes.

The fern is naturally a drooping fern and makes a great hanging basket; however, I have mine in a pot and allow it to grow on a trellis.


It's hardy from Zones 9 through 11. Any area outside these zones, it makes a gorgeous houseplant. It grows from 2 to 6 feet tall. Mine is probably about 4 feet.  I have no special attachment to this plant except that I like it. It's blooming right now and by Christmas it will be loaded with red berries. A great addition to holiday decorating!
While it loves a lot of water it also likes to dry out between waterings.


 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Can you root this? If so, root some for your favorite sister. I need it for my sunroom.

Norma said...

I guess you could root it - but why bother? Again, this is one of the plants I toss in the woods periodically.

When you get your sunroom set up, I'll just divide what I have and send you all that you'll ever want!

I have another fern you might really want: Dixie Wood Fern (Dryopteriis x australia). I bought it from Woodlanders back in the summer.

http://www.woodlanders.net/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1544

It grows to about 5 feet and has an upright growth pattern.

Right now I have it in a pot because I want it to propagate good. When I get hubby to put that 'privacy' fence behind the park benches, I want to have enough to plant the entire length of it . .but I could sacrifice some for you if you want it. It's hardy to Zone 5. Of course, if you're gonna keep it inside, it doesn't matter what zone you're in.