Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Helleborus

The Christmas Rose, aka Lenten Rose, (Hellebore) is a wonderful addition to your shade garden. She gets her common names because she starts blooming around Christmas time and continues through Lent. She makes a good companion for ferns, lobelia, Heuchera, and just about any shade, moisture loving plant. While the Christmas Rose loves to stay moist, she doesn't like to stand in water.

She grows only 1.5 to 2' tall; and is evergreen, she is good for the border of your shade garden. Because of her unique shape and color she's always an eye-catcher in the garden.

The only thing I don't like about the Christmas Rose is that the blooms hang downward. You really can't appreciate the beauty of them without physically upturning their heads. Don't let the catalogs fool you - they all show the Christmas Rose without telling you this.

To get the full impact of this bloom, it needs to be planted in an elevated area; such as on top of a retaining wall or a hanging basket. Or maybe a window box  - providing the sun doesn't get to it.

Below are photos of one I recently divided,  placed in a hanging  basket and hung it right outside my kitchen  window. This way, during the cold, dark days of January and February I can brighten my day by enjoying these  beautiful flowers first thing in the morning!
















See the little  pink tips emerging from the soil? That's the blooms.
 
And when those blooms open, I'll be able
to see them while I make coffee



If you want more information, go to http://www.hellebores.org/hellebores.html


No comments: