Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Muhly Grass aka Mark Grass

The Muhly Grass (Muhlenbergia capillaris) is without a doubt one of the most beautiful grasses you can use in your landscape! I first became aware of this grass about October 2004 when Patsy and I visited NC to babysit with her grandson Mark while his parents attended the Georgia-Florida football game in Florida.

Of course we visited every garden we could locate (and had time for) while we were there. Mark was only about 18 months old - but a very good sport! He seemed to enjoy looking at the gardens as much as we did! This photo is Mark examining some beautiful artwork at Duke Gardens.

On one of our strolls, we saw this BEAUTIFUL mound of grass with pink blooms - and they were fully open! At the time we were unable to locate the name of the grass and it took both Patsy and me months of looking on the web before we could identify it. And when we were discussing the grass, since we did not know its name (it was not labeled) we referred to it as "Mark" grass. Of course, 'Mark Grass' has become the 'pet' name for this plant!




After we identified it we bought some - and the second year I divided mine and sent Mark a few plugs of the grass. He (with G.G.'s help) has it planted in a big container and assists in caring for the grass. He's a real trooper! Patsy keeps reminding him why we call it Mark Grass - hoping he'll remember it for life!

It makes a fantastic showing beginning in October and lasts until the frost hits it. Since we have so much beautiful weather after the first frost, I try to protect mine and get a longer blooming period. It the most showy when planted on a slope or bank . .but since I have neither, I just have to enjoy it on flat ground. I have it flanking the arbor going into my garden.





It reaches a height of 3.5 to 4 feet - and the billowy blooms remind me of cotton candy - swaying in the breeze. And comes back bigger and thicker than the previous year. Again, this is a plant I've shared with many family/friends . . the space where I have it is limited; therefore, I have no choice but to share it!
It's another easy care plant. I just give it a balanced fertilizer on a monthly basis.

After the frost gets it I prune it back to the ground with hedge clippers and throw the dead fronds onto the compost pile. Early spring it spouts new fronds (bigger and better than the previous year) and starts it show all  over again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the memories. And the tips on "Mark" grass. Can't wait to try growing it again in North Carolina. Very nice photos.

Jennifer said...

Wow he's grown up so much since then! Right now that could be Gantt standing there! Yours look so pretty. Hope mine can get pretty again.

Norma said...

Yes, Jennifer, believe it or not, before you can turn around good, you'll be looking to your mischievious, messy, runny-nosed boys for advice and support! Funny, huh?