Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Monday, January 31, 2011

Clay Pots

There are many, many synthetic, decorative pots available in various sizes for container gardening. These are usually very pretty, colorful, lightweight and clean up easily. But as far as I'm concerned, nothing is better for plant growth and beauty than the good old-fashioned clay pot.

 I know - I know! These clay pots develop mildew, calcium and lime deposits; plus they chip and you have to water more frequently. After a while they can be real eyesores on your porch or in your garden. But keep in mind that these 'undesirable' traits exist because the clay is a living, breathing element of our fantastic earth. The clay pots can be heavy and almost impossible to move. (Allowing the soil to dry out prior to moving it makes that task less taxing.)

The roots of a plant need oxygen just like our blood needs oxygen. I'm of the opinion that since the synthetic pots inhibit oxygen absorption where the clay pots are breathing and pulling in and exchanging the oxygen to the roots on a regular basis (the reason for more watering), the clay pots HAVE to be more beneficial for the plants.

Ever wonder why the clay pots instructions are to 'soak for several hours prior to potting'? It's to saturate the pot. Otherwise the dry clay would pull too much moisture too quickly from your prized, expensive plant. Ever seen that statement on your synthetic pots?

Look at this nasty, stained clay pot. Could it possibly be made into something pretty?? White vinegar mixed with baking soda will remove most of the deposits with a little scrubbing. A little diluted bleach will take care of the mildew. However, this one was so stained and mildewed I wasn't sure I could render it usable.

These can be found at very reasonable prices at garage and estate sales or flea markets - which  is where this one came from. I never pay more than a dollar per pot. After scrubbing on this one for a while, I'd almost decided to break it into pieces and use it for drainage tiles in other pots. I don't think it had ever been cleaned and some of the stains were holding on for dear life; then I had the idea to paint it.

I used Rust-Oleum Stone on this one. Quite a difference, huh? And not something you'd want to put out for the trash man for sure! On the inside, I only painted about 4 inches from the top rim. To maintain good air flow for the roots, on the outside I used it very sparingly toward the bottom of the pot.

And I love the contrast on my steps. Now to get some gorgeous flowers for it! Speaking of which, if you're into silk plants/flowers, you could use this technique and never worry about stains and mildew.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My first comment is that I have never bought a clay pot with any "instructions" provided at all. So thanks for the tip about soaking them a while - I never knew or thought about that.

And I love your painted clay pot. I have look at the Rust-Oleum Stone paint before and loved it but thought I had nothing to use it on. Now I do - thanks to you!

Gotta run. Gotta head out to WallyWorld to look for pots and paints.