Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Peony

You know, the instructions always tell you to plant peonies two inches deep - but I could never find out what you planted two inches deep - the bottom of the root? the crown of the plant?? What goes under two inches. So I've just always tried to do the best I could and 'guess'.

But his past weekend I learned that in order for them to get the proper cooling in the winter - which prepares it for blooming in the spring, the 'eyes' must be planted at ground level. According to Walter Reeves, The Georgia Gardener and my favorite male gardener, the eye is where the bloom is created and this is what needs the cooling.

I'm so happy to find this out - I have two that have NEVER bloomed. Now I suspect I know why. I'll reset these in the fall.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very interesting information! I have two small peonies planted last summer. Both are small but now I to give them banana peels. One had a small bud that never made it.