Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Oakleaf Hydrangea


This is my Oakleaf Hydrangea. It also is a very easy plant to grow. Very little maintenance is required, except to keep it within its bounds. I usually cut this back almost to the ground when it's finished blooming. And since it takes root wherever a limb might encounter the soil, you have to dig some out to help keep it within its bounds. But these are once a year chores and shouldn't deter you if you like the shrub.

It's blooms are a spherical shape and it puts on a gorgeous show for at least a month. The aroma of the plant is not particularly pleasing to me; therefore, I don't bring any inside.

The plant at the bottom was labeled as a "Rosemary" when I purchased it. However, as it's matured, it looks nothing like a Rosemary. Some say it's Lavender, but with the yellow bloom that comes on about July, I kind of doubt that it's Lavender. Whatever it is, I love it. It's evergreen and requires no maintenance.

Did you know that, according to folklore, the plant 'Rosemary' got its name when Mary tossed her shawl over a plant at the Crucifixion of Christ? It supposedly lives for 32 years; then dies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the oakleaf and love the mystery plant underneath.