Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Rose Campion (Lychnis coronaria)

The Rose Campion is not a favorite of mine but was a staple in my grandmother's garden . . .I can remember seeing it as a child and wondering why she wanted this in her garden! On the other hand, there is a lot to like about this plant. It does have its own beauty and has its place in the sun as well as a place in history. Lychnis is the Greek word for 'lamp' and the leaves were once used for lamp wicks.

The beauty of the flower is lost
in the sun in this photo

I have a couple of old oil lamps from my dear mother-in-law, but I don't think I'll be picking the leaves of the Rose Campion for emergency lighting - think I'll stick to a flashlight!

The leaves are felt-like in texture and silvery-gray in color. They reach a height of 2 to 3 feet and the clumps spread to about 8 to 12 inches. The plant clumps close to the ground with brilliant red blooms all along the tall stalks. In mid-spring they put on a blaze of eye-catching color.

After these initial blooms deteriorate, take the time to cut the stalks back to the plant and you'll probably get another flush of color in the fall when the weather begins to cool.


But this photo gives you
an idea of the vibrant color

They are short-lived plants; normally living about three years. But they reseed readily. Each spring you'll find plants growing in surprising areas! You can let them grow where they're happy, transport them to an area where you'll be happy, or they can go to the compost pile.

Bloom of the Rose Campion


No comments: