Welcome to My Little Corner of the World

Family, friends, and acquaintances are now free to stroll my gardens at their leisure. So grab a glass of sweet tea and sit a spell.

Questions, comments, and suggestions are appreciated and welcomed as you stroll through the gardens. Sure hope you enjoy your visit as much as I enjoy your company.

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Amarnth - Globe Thistle

The Amaranth, commonly called Globe Thistle, is one of the finest, carefree, and colorful annual borders a gardener can use. Globe-shaped purple blooms atop long stems rising above a compact, 8-inch plant really pulls the eye to a particular area. They are also gorgeous in mass plantings to fill in or complete a perennial bed.

The blooms begin in spring and lasts throughout the growing season until Jack Frost finally gets it. It does take a little deadheading to keep it in contininous bloom. This plant is certainly worth a little effort. The blossoms are also good as fillers in arrangements. The cut flowers lasts a long time, but the stems do require a little wiring to hold them in position and taut.

It's been a few years since I've used the Globe Thistle. As reluctant as I am to admit it, I'm not a very good gardening records keeper, but I am very good at keeping photo albums. And as I was thumbing through some old albums and ran across these photos, and made a decision to ensure I have them in my 2014 garden.

No comments: